Virtual Summer Institute in Global Leadership: Ocean Conservation
The United Nations Association of Greater Boston’s Virtual Summer Institute in Global Leadership is a week-long Model UN program for students from all over the world to work together and address global issues.
Throughout the week, students will:
– Learn about the topic at hand
– Participate in public speaking and negotiation activities
– Meet expert guest speakers
– Engage in team-building activities
– Step into the role of a diplomat during Model UN simulations
What is Model UN?
In Model UN, participants learn about a global issue and are assigned to a specific country. In a simulation that mirrors a UN committee session, students (or delegates, as we refer to them!) give speeches, engage in formal debate, collaborate and negotiate ideas, draft solutions (referred to in Model UN as “resolutions”), and vote. Using parliamentary procedure to structure debate (just like the real UN!), students have the opportunity to build skills for life and leadership while learning about a complex global issue.
How does the virtual program work?
Several days before the start of the program, registered students will receive a specially designed website that includes all the resources, materials, and links needed for the program. Students will convene via Zoom.
To learn more about how virtual Model UN works, click here.
Is there a possibility for in-person programming in 2021?
We’re just as excited as you are to learn with you in-person once it is safe to do so! While it’s hard to predict what circumstances will be in the summer, we can guarantee that we will hold a virtual program no matter what. If circumstances allow for in-person programming this summer, we may add an in-person option during this week. If this happens, parents who have already registered will have the option to switch their registration to the in-person program. In-person programs will be $745, while virtual programs will remain $545. We will announce any decision to add an in-person option by Memorial Day.
This program is open to students in grades 7-10 of all Model UN levels. Students join us from all over the world!
When is the program?
Monday, July 12 – July 16 from 9:30am – 2:00pm Eastern Standard Time. Please note, this program is in Eastern Standard Time
What is the cost of the program?
$545 per student per week
Can I register my student for just part of the program?
Partial program options are not available. Lessons learned each day build off of one another and culminate in a final full day Model UN simulation.
What tech do I need to access this program?
You will need:
– Laptop, tablet, or similar device
– Internet access
– Zoom (with the latest updates)
– Access to Google docs
– Headphones (optional)
Refer a Friend
Refer a friend and you AND your friend will get $50 back! To refer a friend, click here.
Important notes about the refer-a-friend refund:
– In order to be eligible for a $50 refer-a-friend refund, both parties must register for the program on or before May 14, 2021 by 5:00pm Eastern Standard Time
– Refer-a-friend refunds will be received no sooner than May 19, 2021
– Only 1 refer-a-friend refund per person (even if you refer multiple people)
– Refer-a-friend refunds are non-transferrable and are credited to the card used for registration
UNAGB offers the following refund policy for the Summer Institute in Global Leadership:
– If you request a refund 61+ days before the first day of the program, you are eligible for a full refund
– If you request a refund between 31-60 days before the first day of the program, you are eligible for a 50% refund
– If you request a refund 30 days or less before the first day of the program, you are not eligible for a refund