Virtual Summer Institute in Global Leadership: Human Rights
The United Nations Association of Greater Boston’s Virtual Summer Institute in Global Leadership is a week-long Model UN program for students from all over the world to work together and address global issues.
Throughout the week, students will:
– Learn about the topic at hand
– Participate in public speaking and negotiation activities
– Meet expert guest speakers
– Engage in team-building activities
– Step into the role of a diplomat during Model UN simulations
What is Model UN?
In Model UN, participants learn about a global issue and are assigned to a specific country. In a simulation that mirrors a UN committee session, students (or delegates, as we refer to them!) give speeches, engage in formal debate, collaborate and negotiate ideas, draft solutions (referred to in Model UN as “resolutions”), and vote. Using parliamentary procedure to structure debate (just like the real UN!), students have the opportunity to build skills for life and leadership while learning about a complex global issue.
How does the virtual program work?
Several days before the start of the program, registered students will receive a specially designed website that includes all the resources, materials, and links needed for the program. Students will convene via Zoom.
To learn more about how virtual Model UN works, click here.
Is there a possibility for in-person programming?
This program week will only be offered virtually.
This program is open to students in grades 6-12 of all Model UN levels. The program will have a middle school room (grades 6-9) and a high school room (grades 8-12). The two rooms have some overlap in grade level in order to give parents discretion as to which room they’d like their student placed in.
Students join us from all over the world!
When is the program?
Monday, June 21 – June 25 from 9:30am – 2:00pm Eastern Standard Time. Please note, this program is in Eastern Standard Time
What is the cost of the program?
$545 per student per week
Can I register my student for just part of the program?
Partial program options are not available. Lessons learned each day build off of one another and culminate in a final full day Model UN simulation.
What tech do I need to access this program?
You will need:
– Laptop, tablet, or similar device
– Internet access
– Zoom (with the latest updates)
– Access to Google docs
– Headphones (optional)
Refer a Friend
Refer a friend and you AND your friend will get $50 back! To refer a friend, click here.
Important notes about the refer-a-friend refund:
– In order to be eligible for a $50 refer-a-friend refund, both parties must register for the program on or before May 14, 2021 by 5:00pm Eastern Standard Time
– Refer-a-friend refunds will be received no sooner than May 19, 2021
– Only 1 refer-a-friend refund per person (even if you refer multiple people)
– Refer-a-friend refunds are non-transferrable and are credited to the card used for registration
UNAGB offers the following refund policy for the Summer Institute in Global Leadership:
– If you request a refund 61+ days before the first day of the program, you are eligible for a full refund
– If you request a refund between 31-60 days before the first day of the program, you are eligible for a 50% refund
– If you request a refund 30 days or less before the first day of the program, you are not eligible for a refund