Since the early days of the United Nations system, the UN has established a set of Days and Weeks, Years and Decades to help focus the world on the issues in which the UN has an interest and commitment. The UN calls on Member States and other organizations to mark these days in ways which reflect their priorities.
You can see the full list here.
Here are UNA-GB, we strive to educate the Boston community about what is going on globally, as well as make the local connections. See below a list of past blog entries which detail out the meaning behind some of these UN Recognition Days/Weeks, as well as share how the greater Boston community has and can celebrate and participate. Learn more also about the global issues making headlines here. Make sure to stay tuned to our blog and Facebook also to keep up to date on upcoming days and celebrations!
- National Human Trafficking Awareness Day January 11th
- White Ribbon Day March 3rd
- International Women’s Day March 8th
- International Mine Awareness Day April 4th
- World Health Day April 7th
- Earth Day April 22nd
- World Malaria Day April 25th
- Africa Day May 25th
- World Environment Day June 5th
- World Refugee Day June 20th
- United Nations Public Service Day June 23rd
- World Population Day July 11th
- Nelson Mandela International Day July 18th
- International Day of the World’s Indigenous People August 9th
- International Youth Day August 12th
- World Humanitarian Day August 19th
- International Literacy Day September 8th
- International Day of Non-Violence October 2nd
- International Day for Tolerance November 16th
- World AIDS Day December 1st
- Human Rights Day December 10th